Well, I suppose this is the next step into my natural progression into madness– my downward spiral of total delusion.
Over the course of the past several weeks, I’ve ranked the days of the week, the months of the year, the past ten years, and the past hundred years. Now it seems that I need to rank the last ten centuries from the 12th century, to the 21st century– years 1100 A.D. to 2022 A.D. You may ask why I do this to myself… and that certainly is a great question to ask.
10. 14th Century- Black Death. ‘Nuff said.
9. 13th Century- Genghis Khan. ‘Nuff said.
8. I have next to nothing to say about the 11th century so I’m putting it here.
7. the 12th century happened allegedly .
6. 16th Century- The European Renaissance and Protestant Reformation were some pretty significant things to happen here.
5. 17th Century– America.
4. 18th Century– Also America. (America², if you will).
3. 19th Century- This century was something of a massive turning point in world history, as slavery was abolished in many European and American areas, and a true surge in technology with the inventions of the light bulb, the telegraph, and the telephone.
2. 20th Century– The 20th century was a blast, nostalgic 70s-90s media, civil rights, great music, technological progress, that one thing that happened in Europe, global conflict, atomic bombs, racial tensions… but you can’t forget Super Mario Bros. 3, that fixes everything.
1. 21st Century– We’re only like 20 years in, but compared to the last few centuries with plagues, constant wars, and slavery, I think we’re doing… somewhat fine. I mean, what are the worst things that happened over the last twenty years, more wars (but nothing on the scale of the likes of WWII), more political scandals (what a shock), and Disney bought the rights to Star Wars. Sure, that’s a heavy generalization, but when it comes to technological advancements and quality of life improvements, the 21st century is among the best so far.
Wow, there definitely were ten decades over the past thousand years, there’s no denying it. Unfortunately, it seems that the direction I’m being pulled into is ranking the past ten millennia next time, so that should be fun, I certainly have my work cut out for me.