Over the last year or two, I’ve been struggling to overcome boredom! Frankly that’s something everyone deals with in life, so I thought, what better time to talk about fun or interesting things to do than now?
- Sometimes, when I’m bored, I start asking random questions such as “Why is the sky blue?” “What is the biggest animal? Why are blue whales the biggest animals?” etc… From here, I either look up the question and kind of refresh my knowledge to actually receive the factual answer or I come up with my own weird story about why things are the way they are. I mostly research everything once I have a silly question, but if you do that, make sure it’s something you really do enjoy, otherwise, you might bore yourself even more.
- Kind of branching off of the pervious one on the list, you can really just write your own story about anything you want. Write on paper, in a notebook, or type it out on Google Docs. You have nothing, but freedom for this! You can make the characters relate to you and your real life, with the same family members, same friends, but you go on different adventures, it could be a completely made-up world, with weird, unrealistic characters. I personally don’t do this one too often, because I wouldn’t say I’m much of a creative storyteller. If you’re still bored after this, you could add illustrations to it. This is optional, just remember that it’s fine if art isn’t really your thing.
- One of my personal favorite things to do is just color. Very simple, I know, but it really helps relax me when I’m stressed or upset. I enjoy drawing, but that’s NOT one of my strengths. If you are a beginner, wanting to get better at drawing, my advice is to just keep practicing. You could also ask your parents if you could take lessons (if you really want to). Anyway, back to the coloring idea, I will just use an old coloring book I have with any coloring supplies on hand, from there I just let my creativity takeover.
- I love music, (A lot) so as I color, I just listen to some of my favorite songs. Usually, I start singing along, so music can be fun for really anyone. Sometimes people like just listening to songs that they can relate to, some (like me) try sounding like the artist who sings it, others love to dance. As much as I like to dance, I can’t do it. There are a lot of different music platforms you can use to get started, just even by making different playlists that can entertain you. My brothers like Pandora (I think), lots of people tend to like Apple Music, even just YouTube, but I personally love Spotify. However, I’m pretty sure you have to pay for the full version on all of these apps. (I forgot, there’s also Amazon music.) Once you’ve found what genre, a lot of apps (such as Spotify) will start to customize different playlists and albums for you, so that you can continue to discover different music of your liking.
- If you’re comfortable with your musical talent, you could record yourself singing or creating a song on your own. I know that when you record yourself on your phone, you don’t really get the best audio, but it’s a fun way to start off if you think you’d like to work in the music industry. I learned how to play the piano in elementary, but I haven’t really practiced since. You could take professional lessons on how to play an instrument, sing, or dance. Or you could just try to have fun with it yourself!
I hope this might have given you a few ideas as to what to do when you’re bored. Have fun using some of these weird ideas.