So as of now, I’ve ranked the days of the week, months of the year, and the past ten years, and this feels like the next logical step.
10. 1930s– This one goes without saying, from the great depression to the dust bowl to the start of World War II, the 1930s wasn’t the best decade by far.
9. 1940s– This decade pretty much continued where the 1930s left off, continuing World War II and the development of the atomic bomb.
8. 1960s– The 1960s had so much going on– the Vietnam war, civil unrest, significant assassinations, the Cuban Missile Crisis, etcetera. It could have been worse, but it also could’ve been much, much better.
7. 2000s– Overall, the 2000s are defined by fear and terrorism in the long run. Sure, there was a ton of fun pop culture stuff during this decade, but when it comes to historical significance, the 2000s weren’t necessarily incredible.
6. 1970s– Political scandals, trouble in the Middle East, Gas shortages… sound familiar? Of course, 1970s culture is beloved in modern times, but similar to the 2000s, its historical significance weighs the decade’s reputation down a bit.
5. 1950s– Arguably the most “enduringly retro” decade of the bunch. Despite the nostalgic factor of 1950s style, it still had its fair share of unfortunate occurrences, including growing tensions between the U.S. and the Soviet Union, along with the Korean War.
4. 2010s– Honestly, this decade was quite forgettable– and I grew up in it, that’s saying something. Seriously, tell me one thing The most notable thing to happen during this decade (other than an uprise in political division) is technological progression, as technology advanced remarkably here.
3. 1980s– Potentially the most highly regarded and nostalgic decade of all time. This decade was far more laid back than several of its peers, and pop culture reached a significant peak here. However, the 80s still had some glaring issues. For example, the threat of war with Russia (again, sounds familiar) and exponentially high crime rates. Also, 80s technology wasn’t as developed as 1990s tech.
2. 1990s– Speaking of which, the 90s, a generally peaceful decade where pop culture again hit a major peak (specifically the game industry). Of course, there were some issues with the 90s, like more political scandals and the Columbine tragedy, but overall, the 1990s proved to be a rather good time.
- 2020s– Now, I know what you’re thinking. We’re barely three years into the 2020s, and so far, they haven’t proved to be that good at all, much less the best decade of all time, but that’s the idea. We’re only three years in, and for all we know, things can improve. Time is unpredictable, so who knows what can happen. (̶I̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶0̶s̶ ̶u̶n̶t̶i̶l̶ ̶I̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶n̶u̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶1̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶n̶u̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶7̶.̶)̶
Leave a Reply